Monday, October 20, 2008

Cooking

I am not an intuitive cook. I certainly try, but when I attempt to freestyle it, I generally end up with an overflowing compost bin. But in the last few months the ever-increasing appetites of Anders and Jorja and the arrival of my weekly Community Supported Agriculture organic produce box have begun to overwhelm inspire me. When faced with two toddlers who eat five meals a day with seemingly nonstop snacks in between, a partner who comes home from work late in the evening ready to eat, and an overflowing box of fruit and vegetables, it's obvious what one needs to do -- figure out how to utilize the abundance of produce and cook something that your family will consume. And to some extent, I have done just that. I might not cook from scratch every night, but I've managed to incorporate arugula, beets, cabbage, fennel bulb, kale, leeks, purple potatoes, radicchio, radishes, rainbow chard, rutabaga, and tomatillos into our diets without too much complaint.



This is Jorja during a not-from-scratch macaroni and cheese dinner.

No comments: